Practical Creation of Supplemental (VF):
How to split Subtitle Files in Reels with easyDCP Player+
Imagine the following situation:
- The original version (OV) of a DCP or IMF package has already been delivered to the cinema or a partner / studio.
- Now the film must be subtitled. However, the subtitles are only in the form of a single file, while the OV is divided into several reels / sequences.
- The delivery should be a smaller supplemental (VF) containing only the subtitle files tailored to the OV.
Tip: Subtitle files should always be trimmed to the length of the associated reel for maximum projector compatibility.
AND: The use of Supplementals is very similar for DCPs and IMF packages.
To automatically subdivide a subtitle file into reels / sequences, proceed as follows:
- First load the OV into the easyDCP Player+:
- Drop your subtitle file onto the composition:
- Your subtitle file will now be automatically cut and trimmed according to the existing reel / sequence boundaries and inserted in the playlist as "external subtitles" (shown in italics):
- The subtitle files can now be exported to a directory and, if necessary, further processed with the easyDCP Creator+. To do this, press the "e" key, select a destination folder in the export wizard and the menu item "Create supplemental easyDCP project with external subtitles":
- Close the wizard and press "Open Project" to open the project in the easyDCP Creator+:
- Your project will now be loaded as a VF with the individual subtitle files in easyDCP Creator+:
- Do not forget to change the composition title according to the Digital Cinema Naming Convention e.g. "OV" to "VF-1").
- Finally, generate a new VF as usual.
Creation of Supplementals is only supported in easyDCP Creator+. This template was created with easyDCP Creator+ / Player+ Version 3.5.8. Previous versions may not yet include this feature, but newer versions may run slightly differently.