Convenient Creation of Supplemental (VF):
How to convert Subtitle File Formats with easyDCP Player+
Imagine the following situation:
- The original version (OV) of a SMPTE compliant DCP or IMF package has already been delivered to the cinema or a partner / studio.
- Now the film must be subtitled. However, the subtitle files are in Interop format only, while the OV is in SMPTE format.
- The delivery should be a smaller supplemental (VF) containing only one OV compliant subtitle file.
Tip: Subtitle files should always be delivered in the same compliance format as the OV package for maximum compatibility.
AND: The use of Supplementals is very similar for DCPs and IMF packages.
To automatically convert a subtitle file to the format of the OV, proceed as follows:
- First load the OV into the easyDCP Player+. Your OV does not have any subtitles yet:
- Now simply drop your subtitle file onto the composition:
- Your subtitle file will automatically be added to the timeline and to the playlist as "external subtitles" (shown in italics):
- The converted subtitle file can now be exported to a directory and, if necessary, further processed with easyDCP Creator+. To do this, press the "e" key, select a destination folder in the export wizard and the menu item "Create supplemental easyDCP project with external subtitles":
- Close the export wizard and press "Open Project" to open the project in easyDCP Creator+:
- Your project will now be loaded as a VF with the new subtitle file in easyDCP Creator+:
- Do not forget to change the composition title according to the Digital Cinema Naming Convention (e.g. "OV" to "VF-1")
- Finally, generate a new VF as usual.
Creation of Supplementals is only supported in easyDCP Creator+. Please use the newest versions of easyDCP. Previous versions may not include this feature.